Friday, February 6, 2009

Stopping by to say hi...

I said from the beginning that I probably wasn't going to be very good about keeping up with this blog.   Here's a little taste of how things are going for Jim.

All of my grades are finally in from last term, and I'm a little disappointed.  My last grade to come in was Professional Responsibility, which covers the ethical rules that all lawyers have to follow.  The exhaustive code covers everything from advertising and marketing to conflicts of interest to (gasp) even naughty relationships with clients (a no-no, unless the physical relationship began before the attorney-client relationship, in case you were wondering).   I got a C-.  I kind of expected that one of my classes was going to fall through the cracks, considering that it was the hardest semester I've had so far.  Consider this however:  my GPA is now just below a 3.0, which still puts me in the top 20 percent of my class.  Law school is hard.

This semester looks to be more promising.  I'm enjoying my classes, especially health law.  I am applying for an externship with the Spectrum Health's general counsel, which would take place this summer.  Hopefully that position would be a springboard for another externship in the fall with a health law firm, which would then open up an employment opportunity for after graduation next spring.  That plan sure sounds good on paper (or on the Internet, as it were).  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Besides school, not a whole lot is going on.  I've made going to the YMCA a pretty regular thing in the past month or so.  I'm actually starting to enjoy working out, and that accomplished, tired feeling.  It doesn't hurt that I get to sit in the hot tub and sauna after the workout, which makes for much less soreness in my flabby muscles.  I'm almost as much of a regular at the Griffins games.  In about half an hour, I'll be sitting in the arena for the fifth strait week in a row.  Jill even made it to the game two weeks ago.  She learned a lot about hockey that night; specifically, she learned that if you have an aisle seet it makes it much easier to go buy more $1 hotdogs and $1 beers.

So, with that, I'm off to the Van Andel Arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment